Packing your vegetables, fruits, nuts, roots, green leaves, and other fresh products in eco-friendly alternative to plastic bags for produce makes so much more sense. Not only are the disposable plastic bags contaminating our environment, they also don’t allow the fresh produce to “breath” properly, defecting their looks and taste. I listed 12 natural home reusable veggie bags for shopping that are the perfect solution.
My personal favorite pick of the bunch is the reusable foldable double-stitched grocery bags by All Cotton and Linen. They’re pretty stylish, very durable, and 100% natural.
Disclaimer: We only recommend products we truly believe in and we might earn a commission for purchases made through links in this post.
- 1 Top 5 Alternative to Plastic Bags for Produce
- 2 What to look for in an alternative to plastic bags for produce?
- 3 12 Alternative to Plastic Bags for Produce
- 4 The problem with disposable plastic bags for produce
- 5 What are other alternative to plastic bags for produce?
- 6 Which alternative to plastic produce bags is best for you?
- 7 My personal favorite
Top 5 Alternative to Plastic Bags for Produce
Foldable, Handles up to 50 pounds
Made of organic cotton, Machine washable
See-through, lightweight, and extremely durable.
9 Bags of different sizes, Can be washed and reused
Made of organic cotton, Holds up to 30 pounds
What to look for in an alternative to plastic bags for produce?
When searching for an alternative to plastic produce bags, there are a number of factors that you better take into consideration to ensure getting an eco-friendly sustainable bag that will answer your needs and budget. Here they are:
- Material – Simply put, any material that is reusable, durable and non-toxic will be sufficient. However, if I were to be more specific, I have to say that in my opinion the best reusable produce bags are the ones made out of fabric. Produce bags that are made of canvas, mesh, or cotton should all be great.
- Strength – You also want to ensure that the produce bags you’re about to get are strong enough to accommodate your shopping requirements. You don’t want them to get ripped or torn while you’re rushing home to cook a delicious dinner. BeeGreen bags can carry up to 50 pounds.
- Size – Another salient factor that you need to inspect when buying produce bags is size. A bag too small means you will need to carry more than one all the time, a bag too big might get too heavy. Luckily, the majority of produce bags come in sets that feature different-sized bags for convenience. Surdoca bags have quite the impressive capacity, they can hold up to 16L which is equivalent to about 60 potatoes.
- Durability – Look for produce bags that feature double stitching to ensure high durability. Some of the produce bags that we’re going to review feature stainless alloy closures that boost their durability without adding too much to their weight. All Cotton and Linen bags are double stitched to ensure ideal durability.
- Comfort – Make sure the produce bags that you’re about to buy are comfortable to hold, especially if you like to walk home from the supermarket. Moreover, make sure the bags are foldable so that you can stack them in your pockets on your way to the supermarket. EuroSac bag, for example, can easily be packed in your pocket, glove box, or purse.
- Washability – Although all reusable produce bags can be washed by hand, there are produce bags that are machine-washable, making the cleaning process easier. The vast majority of produce bags on our list come with instructions on how to clean them. Zbasics bags are a great example for machine-washable grocery bags.
12 Alternative to Plastic Bags for Produce
I reviewed a range of different plastic bag alternative for produce that I think are the best in their department.
As the name indicates, these produce bags from Ahyuan are made from organic cotton, so they definitely pass the eco-friendliness test. The Ahyuan bags are remarkably lightweight and easily foldable, so you’ll find it easy to stuff them in your pocket, glove box, or purse.
Since they’re made of organic cotton fabric, the The Ahyuan bags can be machine washed with cold water. The bags may look small in the pictures, but they actually stretch and expand as soon as you start filling them in with produce. The package offers 3 eco-friendly bags of the same size.
This set of mesh bags from All Cotton and Linen includes 6 produce bags of different sizes: XL (12 x 15 inches), L (12 x 15 inches), and M (10 x 12 inches). All of the bags included are double stitched to ensure ideal durability. The bags are well designed and are extremely lightweight.
All Cotton and Linen mesh bags are created out of organic cotton, which helps them maintain the smell and freshness of whatever is inside them for a long time. Not only can you store vegetables and fruits inside these eco-friendly bags, but you can also store herbs, grains, nuts, and many more.
This 8-piece set of biodegradable reusable produce bags and muslin bags by Eco joy is certainly one of the best for supermarket shopping. These zero-waste bags are totally free of harmful chemicals and are safe for storing food. The long handles on these natural cotton bags help ensure comfort.
To ensure durability, Eco joy has double-stitched its natural cotton bags. The set also features a sandwich bag that has a stainless alloy closure for convenience. Each of these zero-waste bags is extremely lightweight and will make your supermarket shopping experience a lot easier.
These biodegradable reusable produce bags from Zbasics are made entirely out of unbleached cotton. The set features 6 bags that measure in at 15.5 x 16.5 inches. Further, these sustainable bags feature long 12-inch handles and 5.5-inch gussets to ensure comfort and security.
When it comes to durability, the double-stitching on these fruit and vegetable bags is carried out perfectly, so you don’t have to worry about them failing you after a few uses. What’s more, Zbasics bags are washable grocery bags, so you can just throw them in the washing machine when needed.
With the EuroSca Natural Cotton String Bag you won’t have to utilize paper or plastic bags any longer. This portable grocery bag is made with durability in mind, as it can hold up to 30 pounds, which is way past the weight limit of regular grocery bags that are made of plastic or paper.
Another great thing about the, EuroSac bag is that it’s very lightweight and can easily be packed in your pocket, glove box, or purse. Into the bargain, this is a washable grocery bag, so cleaning it won’t be much of a hassle. You can buy this bag singularly or in sets of 3, 6, 10, 50, and 100.
The Bersoy mesh bags are made of environmentally friendly materials that are FDA certified, so you can rest assured knowing that all of your vegetables and fruits are stored in these bags. I feel the need to underline the fact that these bags are made from mesh polyester, not cotton.
Despite the fact that they’re made out of mesh polyester, these environment friendly bags boast remarkable durability, transparency, and air permeability. You can actually see what’s inside the bags from the outside. The Bersoy mesh bags are double stitched to ensure durability.
If you’re looking to buy a single bag rather than a bulk of reusable bags for dry goods, you might want to look at this natural cotton string bag from Surdoca This fruit and vegetable bag features an impressive capacity of up to 40 pounds, which is equivalent to about 60 apples.
Surdoca sustainable bags feature long handles that allow you to carry them across your shoulder with ease. These sustainable bags also employ double-layer sewing technology and thick mesh to ensure maximum durability. It’s worth noting that each thread has 6 cotton threads.
Featuring premium-quality cotton and double-stitching technology, this set of reusable bags for dry goods offers everything you’d need from reusable grocery bags. Qinline reusable grocery bags are washable, durable, foldable, easy to carry, and can be reused numerous times after washing.
These eco-friendly products by Qinline are available in 2 different sets: the cotton set (2L, 2M, 2S) and the mesh & muslin set (2L, 2M, 2S). The latter set offers a bonus cotton reusable grocery bag. The Qinline produce bags are backed by a lifetime warranty and a 100% satisfaction policy.
This set of portable grocery bags from Pouch includes 3 highly-durable muslin cotton drawstring bags that measure in at 7.5 x 12.5 inches. They’re excellent for storing anything from household items to produce. Pouch cotton green bags for shopping are washable, breathable, and reusable.
One thing that a lot of produce bags tend to suffer from is bland designs. This set of bags from Naturally Sensible however, is the complete opposite of bland with their earth tone colors. Not only do they look good, but they’re also see-through, lightweight, and extremely durable.
This set of portable grocery Bags from BeeGreen is another highly recommended set if you’re in search of environment friendly bags that boast appealing designs. The package offers 6 bags of the same size that can hold up to 50 pounds. The bags come with a 1-year no-rip guarantee.
The last product on our list is the set of reusable produce bags from Good Haus These produce bags are made of unbleached organic cotton, so they’re totally eco-friendly. You can throw them in the washing machine and they won’t shrink or rip. In my opinion, Good Haus bags also look pretty awesome.
The problem with disposable plastic bags for produce
Did you know that an estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide on a yearly basis?! Alarming, isn’t it? Especially when you take into consideration that plastic bags take about 500 years to completely decompose in nature.
By taking the initiative and reconsidering your plastic bag habits, you are helping to reduce these big numbers. And trust me, every fraction helps. If we want our future to be cleaner, each of us have to do the best he can. Adopting alternatives to plastic is a great place to start.
What are other alternative to plastic bags for produce?
Like I have already mentioned, anything that is reusable and non-toxic will suffice. So you can replace your plastic produce bags with carts, boxes, or DIY bags that are made from non-toxic materials and you’ll be doing the whole world a huge service.
Which alternative to plastic produce bags is best for you?
Choosing the best alternative to plastic produce bags boils down to your needs. If you’re looking for maximum capacity, you may want to check out the BeeGreen reusable foldable waterproof grocery bags or the EuroSac natural cotton string bag.
If you’re in the market for a more stylish and environment-friendly bag, have a look at Naturally sensible eco-friendly reusable produce bags. Lastly, if you’re looking to buy in bulk, the obvious choice would be the EuroSac Natural Cotton String Bag.
My personal favorite
It’s really hard to pick a winner out of the above-mentioned products as they’re all pretty great in their own way. However, if I were to make a choice and buy one for myself, I’d go with the double-stitched bags by All Cotton and Linen because they have a great variety of sizes, they look pretty stylish, they’re very durable, and 100% natural.
- The Definitive Guide To Plastic Bags Alternatives 2020
- 5 Best Reusable Freezer Bags For Meat (Zero-Waste Freezing)
- 5 Green Alternatives To Ziploc Bags
- 5 Shopping Bags Made From Recycled Plastic Bottles
- Best Trash Bags For The Environment 2020
- Degradable or Biodegradable Trash Bags
- What Are Compostable Bags Made Of? is It Eco-Friendly?